Monday, August 29, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect

I have never really been one of those people who can spend hours on end practicing one or two songs. Of course, who really is at my age, right? It just never could hold my attention for long extended amounts of time. I guess I just got too distracted much too easily, as do many teenagers, but I just started college. I'm a big kid now, right? Right. So, tonight I went over to my home-away-from-dorm, Moore Auditorium ( <3), and sat myself down in a little tiny practice room. It was just me and that upright piano. I had no idea what to expect, honesty. I didn't know if I would be able to just sit there and do work. I was never THAT kid. None the less, I sat down at that little piano and pulled out my Alfred's Group Piano for Adults(adults? right.) and set to work. I was surprised at just how easy it was to buckle down and do the work that I needed to get done. I thoroughly enjoyed sitting all by my lonesome in that tiny room playing through my piano assignment and choosing a song that I'm going to perform for my voice studio later this week. I loved working through the things that gave me problems. I loved the struggles that I ran into. I loved realizing what songs needed more work than I thought. I'm looking forward to putting in the hours to get where I want to be on my songs. Is it possible to be addicted to working this hard? Does that make me crazy? If so, then I claim that particular brand of insanity. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that there were so many other music students in the practice rooms around me ranging from drummers to tuba players. Maybe hearing them all work so hard and just having the sense of everyone working toward the same goal, even though we may not be working on exactly the same thing, had an impact. Whatever it was, I loved it. Every moment of the two hours I spent in that precious room was filled with hard work. I absolutely cannnot wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment